top of page


The area now known as King's Square is situated above what was the south eastern gate of the Eboracum fortress. There is a theory that the gate building was subsequently repurposed as a Palace by the Saxons and later the Vikings. A Church was recorded on the site as far back as the 13th century but there may well have been a place of worship in some form back to the Roman era.

Holy Trinity or Christ Church as shown in the Postcards was remodelled in the 18th and rebuilt in the 19th Century. A parish change meant the church was no longer used for services and it was known locally as the "Butchers Church" due to the practice of keeping Sheep there until its demolition in 1937. The raised area now used as a stage for street performances still has a hint of the old churchyard with some of the headstones remaining laid as flagstones.

bottom of page